Today I’m going to talk about the Cumulative Update 3 of Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 and how to install the updated client to all Configuration Manager Clients. As you all might know this CU3 fixes some issues with Configuration Manager. For a detailed list, I recommend you to read the following Microsoft documentation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2882125/en-us
First of all the CU3 should be installed on the primary site server.
The installation generates a couple of packages that should be appropriately deployed:
- Package to update the console
– Package to update the server
– Package to update clients (x86)
– Package to update clients (x64)
The focus today is on the client update and how to get it installed throughout the environment.
We first have to look at the different deployment scenario’s:
- Upgrade existing Configuration Manager Client (example for x86 clients)
1. Create a collection called All x86 Systems with client using the following query:
select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.SystemType = “x86-based PC”
This collection has a limiting collection called “All Systems with Client”, this collection was created previously
2. Deploy the x86 client update to the “All x86 Systems with Client” collection using a required deployment
The same can be done for x64 clients
- Integrating CU3 client with Operating System Deployment
In previous versions of SCCM when a cumulative update was installed, the update was added to the client installation source. Which means that the original client package only needed an update distribution points to include the update + add an additional parameter to the Setup Windows & Configmgr step in the task sequence.
Now the update is stored elsewhere, so a new client package should be created which contains the original client installation source and the cumulative update (.msp file)
1. Create an empty folder in your datastore where packages, applications, etc. are stored (eg. \\[fileserver]\DSL\Microsoft\SCCM_Client\2012_CU3\ML\MSI)
2. Copy the content from the installation folder of SCCM (eg. D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Client into the new folder
5. Create a package in Configuration Manager with the newly created folder as source (\\[fileserver]\DSL\Microsoft\SCCM_Client\2012_CU3\ML\MSI), No need to create a program for this package.
7. Edit the task sequence where you want to apply the updated version of the Configuration Manager Client. Edit the existing “Setup Windows & Configuration Manager “ step and point it to the newly created package
This is for the x86 client Operating Systems being deployed, for the x64 operating systems this is the right command line:
From now on clients being deployed with the edited task sequence will receive the latest version of the Configuration Manager Client
For future updates, the same way of working can be used.
Hope this helps!